What do parrots eat? Parrot and bird facts
I think every bird lover loves parrots and they want a parrot as a pet bird. Parrots are so beautiful and everybody wish to take a parrot as their pet. I mean look at the parrots, hey are so much beautiful and green silky body with cherry-red colored curved beak make them so cute and sweet. Parrots are one of the most beautiful bird in the world.
So if you have a parrot or you are planing or ever thinking to take a parrot then you have to know a few things about parrots like what do parrots eat, how long a parrot live, what food is bad for parrots, what is the cost of a parrot in your country, how many types of parrots are present in the world, how to take care of a parrot etc.
If you know these things about parrots then come on hurry up take a parrot as a pet but if you do not know these facts about parrots then please read the article carefully. I hope after reading this article your will get answers of all of your questions.
What do parrots eat?
Remember parrots are wild bird. In forest they eats fruits and nuts and many colorful things. Parrots are omnivores ( Omnivore- The creature who can eat plant and meat as their primary diet to get energy is called omnivore.
They can digest plant product as well as meat. Example- dog, bare, human etc.) means they eat mostly anything they like. But feeding a parrot by jungle food in domestically is not easy. Parrots eat colorful fruits, vegetables, nuts, meat, fruit seeds, insects etc.
See these article-
Some fruits that parrots eat:
In home we can give various type of fruits to our parrots. In wild they eat jungle fruit that I will discus below but in home we generally do not find jungle fruit so we can give some fruits to them like-
- Jack fruit
- Passion fruit
Parrots love to eat all of these fruits and now I will tell about vegetables that parrots love.
Some vegetables that parrots eat:
Parrots do not eat all vegetables but they love to eat some vegetables like-
- Red chilies
- Green chilies
- Coli flower
- Soya bean pulse
You can give nuts and additional protein to your parrot. Parrots are omnivores that means you can give them plant products as well as meat products. You can give chicken bones to your parrot for calcium. Calcium is very important for every birds.
You can give some animal protein to your parrot. Some doctor said it is not good to give animal protein to your parrot but after research it is proved that you can give little amount of animal protein to your parrot.
Parrots can eat dog foods but can not survive by eating dog food for long time. Egg protein is not appropriate for parrots. High sugar and high fat containing fruit is not appropriate. Vegetables is good from fruits because some fruits contain high sugar but vegetables not.
The best way to give good food for your parrot is to cut those fruits and vegetables that parrots eats, mix pieces of fruits and vegetables and add little amount of animal protein and chicken bone pieces and give to your parrot.
Another easy way to feed your parrot is buy a bird food from local pet store and give to your parrot. I also discus below what type of food is not recommended to your parrot. Now let’s see some jungle food that your parrot loves to eat.
See the articles-
(Can dogs eat chocolate?)
(Why my cat lick me very much?)
Some wild food that parrots eat:
Here I list out some wild food that parrots usually eats when they stays in jungle. In jungle they do not find fruits and vegetables like mango, cherry,pumpkin, chili, bean, papaya so they take some different kind of food in jungle. So let’s see the list below
- Stone crab
- Some insects
- Fat hen plant
- Blue berries
- Sunflower seeds
- Brown chickpeas
- Split chickpeas
- Ground nuts
- Shell almonds
- Small Caterpillar
- Dragon fly
What parrots can’t eat?
- Chocolate- Chocolate contains two substance that is bad for parrots or any bird, the substances are Caffiene and Theobromine.
- Avocado- Avocado is one kind of vegetable but it contains a fatty acid substance that is not s good for birds.
- Fatty food
- Fruit pits
- Apple seed
- Milk product
- Mushrooms- Mushrooms are one type of fungus that cause liver diseases in bird even liver failure.
How to care a parrot?
- Proper feeding- Parrots need variety of food so feed they properly with right kind of food. Do not give them same food every day. Give a new new foods what they eat and maintain a time of every day feeding. Give them fruits, seeds, vegetables and other ingredients you want to add. Give right amount of food daily and give them water in a bowl. Daily wash their food container before give them food.
- Cage selection- Always choose right kind of cage for your parrot. The cage should have sufficient in size where you can place a food and water container for the bird. The cage should have enough space that the parrot can move freely. Place the cage in a room where you and your family members moves around. Do not place the cage in a room where nobody usually walk around and dark room because parrots are social bird. They like to stay with others.
- Maintain the temperature of the room- Parrots can tolerate temperature ups and downs but the optimal temperature for a parrot is approximately 70 degree F to 85 degree F. Below 45 degree F and above 100 degree F is not good for parrots.
- routine checkup- Every month take your parrot to your vet to routine checkup of your parrot. Through routine checkup you can know about the health status of your parrot and follow the vet instructions to promote your parrots life style.
- Training- Parrots are very social bird. They are very intelligent that they can copy others sound even they can copy our sound and laughter. Whey they hear something they remember it and they can copy that particular sound. Their vocalization power is amazing. African grey parrots are the best to copy human voice. Through training they know many thing and they understand our feeling by training.
How long do parrots live?
The pet parrots are save from predators and many diseases that’s why they live long from wild parrots. However parrots are more than 270 species in the world and the life spend of each species is different.
Types of parrot:
There are almost 279 species of parrots in the world. Here I will list out some popular parrot species so let’s take a look below-
- African Grey Parrot
- Amazon parrots
- Pionus parrots
Cost of a parrot:
Parrots are beautiful that’s why they are little expensive. Different species of parrots have different price. The price of parrots depend on age, color, size, breed type ( rare breed parrots are highly expensive), vocalization etc.
Can birds eat spider?
The answer is yes, birds can eat spider.
Parrots are wonderful bird and they can become a good pet for you. In this article I discus about “what do parrots eat?”, I hope you like the article and understand what I was tell you in this article and you get your answer of the question “what do parrots eat?”. I also wrote about how to take care of your parrot, cost and price of parrots, types of parrot in the world, Wild parrot food, prohibited or bed food for parrots etc.
I am a bird lover and do you know that parrots ore one of the most smartest bird in the world. If you need a pet who stay lifetime with you then take a parrot. After little training parrots can vocalized our voice and laughter.
Now if any of your friend or anybody ask you “what do parrots eat?”, you well know what is the answer to tell them and share the post to your friends and family members to learn about the topic “what do parrots eat?”.
See my main website- Click on the link
If you have any query then send me email on email@example.com, I will give answer within 24 hours.